Friday, June 17, 2011

Carol Keniry

Carol Keniry interview 17th June 2011


Well its not often I am impressed by the talents of a singer so young, but this week speaking to singer songwriter guitar player Carol Keniry I have to say I was impressed by so many things. Her attitude, her skill, her voice, her style and her personality. Sitting in a studio being interviewed by yours truly is never an easy thing to have to put up, with but Carol took it all in her stride. 



I asked Carol the usual question where and when did it all start?. I was around nine when I got my first guitar from Santa, and we searched for ages in the local papers for guitar teacher till we came across one in our area, I went to my first lesson and came home never wanting to hold or play a guitar again. My mother persuaded me to give it another go and to be honest looking back I am glad I did . I kept playing and learning the guitar and after a while I started to sing along to the songs I was learning.


I am 17 now and in the last 8 years I have had so much fun playing the guitar and singing.  Before we went any further I asked her to sing a song for the listeners who were tuned in. She said ok and started to sing Black Velvet by Alanna Myles. I sat back and listened as she started playing the guitar thinking I was going to get the usual strum along, but not on this occasion, With intricate and nimble fingers she went through the intro like a pro adding the notes on top of the cords to sound like a complete band. Then she started to sing. Her voice is hard to describe, its tuneful, solid, clear and very easy on the ear but it also holds a maturity beyond her 17 years. "Confident" is an understatement, as I watched her,she closed her eyes, played guitar and sang. 


Now throughout the years I have had the pleasure of listening to many fine singers and songwriters but not all of them would have stunned me into silence, when she finished she calmly put the guitar down smiled and sat back waiting for more questions. I forgot to turn on my mic but recovered to continue the interview.


I asked her who her main influences were and she replied Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac would be on top of her list with Jimmy McCarthy a close second, I just love the way Fleetwood mac can structure a song and Stevie can sing it, as for Jimmy McCarthy well I love so many of his songs but the Contender is a great song. I asked her about her musicial styles and she said it ranged from Stevie Nicks to anything and everything. With her own personal taste slightly different to what she would actually preform, She explained further, I like songs from Cold play but they wouldn't go down too well at the venues I play in so for that reason I dont have them on any playlist but rather keep them to myself and play them at home.


Carol can be seen playing in and around her home town of Youghal and even in the local Quality Hotel over the summer months. either way keep an eye out for this very talented singer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment