Monday, May 30, 2011

Steve Whelan


Steve Whelan 30th May 2011

Singer songwriter Steve Whelan from Youghal has a very down to earth approach to delivering his music with a spirit of honesty presence and grit.  His Smokey vocals, married with his simple but poetic and addictive melodies produces a musical honesty and edge possessed by few writer composers. I spoke with Steve this week about his new album.



Steve said that they were currently working on it and were about half way through finishing it, for this album he teemed up with a group of musicians and friends Warren Tivy, Tony Kiely, and Ollie Loughnan also lads that form The Steve Whelan Band to play and record his new material in a new fresh style to tour later this year.

I asked Steve since his first album what was the reaction and how did he feel about it. He said that he wouldn’t change a thing he likes the raw style and sound he can come up with. I asked him where did it all start Steve said that he had always been writing songs but when local artist Bobby Lee was putting an album together he heard Steve singing and asked Steve for a song from there on there was no looking back. I never thought my songs were good or anything special but when I went into the studio the lads all offered to fall in and help record the song. They asked me had I any other songs and when I played them the lads were all of the same opinion, This album has to be recorded and they were all willing to be part of that process. It felt great getting that sort of feedback from friends and musicians. I finished the album and it got a great reaction for awhile I took a break and took some time out but now I am looking forward to putting this new album together.

I asked Steve was songwriting a difficult and what format he uses. Its not a hard process its a natural progression you hear a tune in your head so you just work on it some days you can get a song finished in a few minutes other times it takes a few weeks, for me I write about everything and everything from a film I see or a thing I see in everyday life then I try put words to it which is the hardest part for me in the process, the music always works itself out but the words are what take a little time

Is gigging important and if so does it mean anything to you to be playing your own songs Well to be honest its the best part of it, You get great feedback from an audience that you don’t get in the studio and when people clap at the end of the song its great to know  that people like the music. It’s what helps me continue to write songs and music. We are lucky here in Youghal in that we have great musicians and a great facility in Claycastle to record the finished songs.

Steve's influences range from Ben Harper, The Beatles to Gospel and Spiritual music. All this reflects a musical artist with rare aspect sincerity. Speaking to a very quite unassuming guy is a lesson in humility. The album is being recorded at Claycastle Studios in Youghal and will be due for release before the end of the year



No comments:

Post a Comment