Friday, December 16, 2011

Ger Thompson 2nd interview

Ger Thompson 2nd Interview Friday 16th Dec 2011

Well this week we had a chance to catch up with singer songwriter Ger Thompson. Ger who was on the show last March has been working away writing songs and getting himself out there so to speak. Since his last visit much has happened to Ger, today spent the time talking about these new events and how his songwriting was progressing. Ger, as always sang during the interview two of his great new songs. Now I know I am going a little off topic here so bear with me because I feel its important and needs to be said. I find that a second interview can tell a lot about a person, the first interview people are always well behaved, a little guarded and keeping an eye on everything they say, and this is normal after all who wants to sit down and discuss a life story live on air with people they don't know. However with Ger I found the opposite, a relaxed, outgoing, guy who loves his music and loves to talk about music in general. There was no hint of suspicion or any of the things I listed above. Ger from day one when we met in March is still the same guy, still as passionate about music, still as gentle and soft spoken, still as humble and most of all is a gifted songwriter with a lot to offer. The reason I even mention this is to try show you a little of the man rather then the public persona so to speak. I met a guy who, in the music world is a genuine, down to earth, honest hardworking guy. Now having gotten that out of the way read on.

For those that dont know Ger Thompson he  is originally from Dublin but now living in locally. He moved to Cork with his wife Eileen whom he met while studying at Drama Collage. He spent most of his working life as an actor even after he got married. About a year and a half ago he was laid off from his job, like so many others in this current climate and he found it hard to adjust from working every day to not working. But while one door closes as they say another will open and he found that he had time to finish some projects he had always wanted to do but never had the time, one of those was songwriting.

Today he told me that he had the privilege of playing live in Vicar street recently and for anyone that knows anything about music this is one of the most important venues in Ireland, Ger sang some of his own songs and managed to fulfill with many singer songwriters in Ireland and abroad would kill for, the chance to sing in Vicar Street. This goes to show that his talent is coming to the fore and that its only a matter of time before his songs and songwriting become a household name, tunes that other bands will record and preform on stage. 

Already he has had radio play on our national radio station RTE 1 with Alf McCarthy playing some of his songs, and this only came to light after our interview when I met a friend ont he street on the way home, "Here Shane" he said to me "do you know that fella you had on today, Ger Thompson, sure wasn't I only listening to him on radio during the week and I said to myself didn't Shane Supple interview him during the year." I asked him on what station and who was the presenter and he told me it was RTE 1 and it was Alf McCarthy who played it. Its great to know that talent will always rise to the top. Its even better to know that we have that talent here in our midst and we can hear him song locally, 

All I can say is listen to the interview, I am sure you will enjoy it after all talent is always enjoyable. And dont forget to check out his own webpage on www.gerthompson.com or youtube 



A song taken from Ger's own website www.gerthompson.com which he sang at the interview in March.

No comments:

Post a Comment