Friday, March 27, 2020

DIY around the house 1


Ok here's the thing, I'm not the most dexterous when it comes to doing DIY around the house. Everyone in my family knows this, hence a pretty easy time of it, our local tradesmen, friends nephews and neighbours are all aware of this as well, from the countless times herself has asked them to do this or that small job around the place as "he is completely useless around the house" her words or as they say a direct quote......
Anyway as things stand in the current climate we, like many others are more or less housebound and I am lucky to be able to work from home. After 3 years of asking me to hang a picture in our sitting room, she thought it was about time I hang it. After all I was home every day and my excuse of I cant right now, I have to get ready for a meeting etc didnt hold water. She looked me straight in the eye and said I want that picture hung today. I tried the old "my drill is busted" to which she replied it's ok, I bought you one and handed me a brand new drill. Exhibit 1 in the gallery attached.I had no choice but to agree.


With that she went into our sitting room and cleared away a space in front of the wall where she wanted the picture hung. Handed me a tape measure, a hammer, the drill and the framed photo. She had a pencil and marked the exact spot on the wall. "You cant go wrong, drill here, one screw in this spot. I have washing to do so I'll let you to it"

There I was drill in hand and no way out. I got myself sorted out checked the drill, placed it on the wall, pulled the trigger and off it went. I was drilling for about 5 minutes dust everywhere and figured I was done I stopped drilling and examined the wall. There was a small hole and that was it enough to place the tip of the screw into but no further. I got out the instruction manual and read it when I came across a button to switch to for hammer action.

Let me tell you this hammer action works, not so good for me but it sure does make short work of a stubborn block. I placed the drill onto the small hole and as I pushed the trigger I decided to lean into it good and hard. I didnt see the dog, nor his tail wagging as he lay on the ground looking up at me. I pressed the trigger and stood on that dog's tail at the same time. Dust, flew everywhere the dog snapped at my ankle he started yelping and howling while chewing on my ankle. I lost balance, fell forward and my grip on the drill trigger got even tighter. As I said hammer action works.

We have an old house with old style walls built using rocks and stone not cement blocks. Typical, the one place I pick to drill had some loose stone behind the rock I was drilling through. Before I knew it the drill had hammered it's way through the rock and as I was now hanging off the drill having lost my balance it put extra pressure on where I was drilling, causing the drill bit to act like a crowbar and bang.

Before I knew it I was on my knees at the foot of the wall with rubble, stones and cement dust everywhere. When it cleared I took a look at my handiwork. Not pretty see.... exhibit 3 photo below.
The end result I had to call my neighbour, a builder to have a look at the small hole in my wall. He was at home and we agreed and social distancing protocols while he looked over my DIY effort.
He had to remove more loose stones before he could fix the hole, this in turn led to fireplace coming out and god knows what else.
But I'm sure the picture will look good when he has finished.

Lesson here just because your stuck at home does not mean you should become a DIY expert round the house. Guys use my story as an example of the dangers of DIY in case your better half gets on your case.

No comments:

Post a Comment