Friday, November 11, 2011

Polly Barrett

Polly Barrett interview Friday 11th Nov 2011

Well here we go again, another interview with another amazing singer songwriter, I guess what ever I write here will only pale in comparison to what will be written over the next few years for this talented rising star. Take it from me you have not heard the last of this fine singer, Polly Barrett a native from Kinsale in County Cork spent most of her young adult life in Cork City learning her craft and writing songs. Today I had the pleasure of chatting with Polly and of course started off with the usual where did it all start for you. "well I remember doing piano classes at a very young age but it never really was my thing and as I grew older I started to write more I got myself a guitar and from then on things changed for me. With the guitar I found I was able to compose and write songs easier with my pen ,notepad and guitar I was able to put songs together.


I asked Polly what was her secret or formula to writing songs. As we know every songwriter has their own technique to writing songs and Polly said that she liked to gather the information over time , file it away in her brain or even on paper and when it came to writing the song she had loads of information to pull from for the song lyrics and from that point on was able to put a structure around the song.

At this point in the interview I asked her to sing a song for us so the listeners tuning in could understand what we were talking about. She introduced the song Sundays Well and started playing gently on the guitar before she started singing, To say I was distracted is an understatement.  Now I have to say its not often the hairs stand up on the back of my neck, normally when I hear see something that just gives that feeling of something new, otherworldly mmmmm, ah look Its something I cant describe,( my style of writing does not allow for imagination) but anyone who has experienced the hairs standing on your arms etc know's exactly what I am talking about.  I sat and listened to what I was hearing.

To say that I have the best job in the world is often an understatement. The chance to sit in a room with headphones on and listen to songwriters sing to just me is a feeling I will never miss no matter how long I do a radio show. She has such a gentle yet clear style, tuneful and melodic, your taken on a journey against your wishes. In my case I had things I need to do, mix sound, take the usual photo, get tracks and adverts ready for the next break, guess what on this occasion I simply forgot to do any of the above. I was transfixed and lost in the story Polly was telling. I noticed how effortless she does this without thinking.

Sometimes singers close their eyes and get lost in their own story, however Polly was completely aware of where she was. She would glance across at me from time to time but at all time never got lost or drifted away. She has the gift that many companies, salesmen, politicians all desire, the ability to communicate clearly and precisely without missing whats going on around you. Anyway I am drifting off here and getting lost in what exactly I am trying to write. Its simple really and does not require a higher education to say Polly can sing, Polly can write and she does both very very well.

Polly's first public preform ace was on the streets of Cork where she used to busk from time to time , from there she has worked hard, and has finally started to get noticed. She will be providing support to a lot of artists who will be touring Ireland over the next few months so keep an eye out for this girl. Tell you what listen in to the interview and judge this rare, young, unique talent for yourself.
Click on the link below to her the interview and you can check Out Polly's own website and pages on the links below that to find out where she is touring and who she is touring with..





http://www.myspace.com/pollybarrett
http://www.reverbnation.com/pollybarrett
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Polly-Barrett-Music/108088589256392?ref=ts&sk=app_2405167945

No comments:

Post a Comment